Monday 21 December 2015

December Update: Counting Down To Christmas (Part 2)



Hi readers,

It's another update post today and probably my last before Christmas, though hopefully not my last before the New Year! This last week and the weekend have been a bit stressful though and I still can't wait for Christmas to be over and done with as it just feels like that will solve most of the problems! Anyway, I've hardly had time to think about that today because I've been at work all day and evening. Which is why I'm super glad I decided to get ahead yesterday and write up some of the parts of this post!

Kicking my post off today is an update of what's going on at my other blog. I've just written a nine part fantasy story, which people have seemed to be enjoying. I can't decided if I want to carry on writing or not. This week though it's all about the next six parts of my Trust novella. Yeah, my vampires Brook and Fern are back and this time I decide to bring in a new plot that I've been thinking about and adding in some new vampires. Of course, there are other stories all Christmas/winter themed still available to read and new ones will be up later this week. Here's the link; https://thestoryfiles.wordpress.com/ 


The only thing I made last week is peppermint bark. I've never made it before and it doesn't seem to be that bigger thing in the UK compared to USA. I found a real simple recipe that called for milk chocolate, white chocolate, peppermint oil and candy canes. I melted the milk chocolate first and also a bowl in the microwave- I thought it was heat safe, turns out it wasn't! I then poured that into a silicon tray, added some peppermint oil and let it set. I melted the white chocolate, added the oil to that and poured that on top of the milk chocolate. Then and really I should have done this before- I smashed up some of the candy canes with a rolling pin and sprinkled them on top, I pressed some of the bigger pieces down then I left it over night to set completely.

It turned out okay, though it did need some more peppermint oil! I shared some of with my friends from D and D and they all agreed it reminded them of Areo chocolate (which is mint flavored chocolate, for those that don't know). and they liked it. I've still got some in the fridge and might take some with me on Christmas eve.      



Last week, I decided to make small felt stars with the young people at the youth center. I made this one and had this idea of making more and having a string of them on my bookcase. I've just not had the time to do that though, but it would be a great way to use up some of my scraps of felt. The kids once we had thrown away the yellow silk, which wasn't good for this project, did enjoy making them, so I'd say make felt/fabric stars is a good craft for the kids to do. 



My second thing which I made on Saturday, is this stocking. I found the gingerbread man pattern at http://www.dreamalittlebigger.com/post/distressed-gingerbread-man-felt-stocking-pattern.html and it reminded me of the gingerbread men I made the other week. I know I didn't get it perfect, but I really like it. I wanted to give it ago as on Wednesday I'm running an craft activity at work and thought that getting the kids to design their own stockings would be a great idea. To save time and issues, I've spent time over the weekend and properly some more tomorrow cutting out the stockings, gingerbread men and a few other shapes. I really hope the kids like making them.



Christmas is just a great time to do lots of arts and crafts with kids and there's so many different things they can have a go at making. Today, I made Christmas cards and paper plate wreaths with two different age groups; juniors and seniors all of whom had additional needs. They seemed to have a great time and so did I!


This week I'm still burning Christmas themed Yankee Candles and it's one of my favorite set; Hot Butter Rum, Winter Garden and warm Chestnut. I think they were new and limited from a shopping channel and I've not really seen them around. However, I love the rich warm butter and rum scent which really fills the house. Warm chestnut has this hot earthy/outdoor nut smell to it, which to me is better then real chestnuts! Winter garden smells just like a frost covered evergreen garden. I can't decided my favorite out of them to be honest!

It doesn't feel like I've got any new music to share today. I've been listening to my normal things and some natural sound videos on YouTube. I've been listening to Christmas songs -who hasn't?- but due to them being mostly played in shops and at work, and the fact my mum keeps putting them on the TV music channels, I've not really been listening to them in my own time. Though I had to hear Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer a few times because that's one song I just don't hear anywhere else. I just makes me laugh a lot and it far better then some of the depressing Christmas songs. 


I've been getting lots of nice things in my advent count down sack, as the photo shows! I've got a few more things knocking about to, but this week it's mostly been about chocolate. Can't wait to tuck into that! I'm sad I've only got like three more presents to go now, I'm going to miss opening a present a day. Still though, I'll have lots to open on Christmas day! 

Lastly, here's my dog snugging in her new blanket. She's so cute!



Photos:
Christmas house and trees lighting up from: http://giphy.com/gifs/pretty-christmas-bHSCxaHfjZYwE
Yankee Candles 
All others; my own

No comments:

Post a Comment