Monday 23 November 2015

Book Review: Welcome To Night Vale A Novel



Hi readers, 

I'm becoming more determined to make Mondays the day I post to this blog. I'm not sure why, I guess the routine of doing so? Also, because I'm free on Mondays, it's like the only day I don't have anything else to do, well beside from starting work on getting ahead with short stories for my other blog and catching up with emails. Once, again I've no idea how long this is going to last for as I've all ready got some plans for the new year and I'll be writing more about them sometime in December. For now though, let's look at today's topic. 

Of all the books on my list this year, Night Vale was the one I was most excited about. I've been listening to the podcast for ages and enjoying them, though I often fall behind with them because I really can't do anything whilst I listen to them as I lose concentration with it. I was also lucky enough to go to a live show in Manchester UK with my boyfriend. Strangely, the podcast works on stage very well and it made me more eager to see how a novel would work out.

Firstly, you don't have to have even heard of Night Vale to pick up and read the novel. Of course, being aware of the settings and characters is useful, but the way the novel is written gives you everything you need to understand all of this. Though, if you are looking to find out why Night Vale is so supernatural then you won't find any answers here! Like with the podcast, you have to just accept Night Vale for the surreal unnatural world it is, where anything can and will happen.

The plot focus on two female characters and their search for a very unusual man who is waiting for them in a city that is very difficult to get to. Interjected between the chapters are extracts from the Night Vale radio station (which if you didn't know is how they do the podcast) and as these go along it becomes more apparent how they fit in with main plot. Plus, they are humors snips of life in Night Vale. Along the way are side-plots and themes about family, life, jobs and out of the box solutions. I could so go into a lot more with the plot, but I don't want to spoil it.     

I really connected with the characters and the ending linked them all together which nice to see. Even though the focus is on the main set of about four or five characters, the background ones feel like they have their own issues and aren't just there to be the stereotypical background people. I really hope that some of these characters get their own novels in the future because it'd be interesting to find out more about them. I think that nearly a everyone will be able to connect with a character or more in the novel because many are likable and have realistic problems such as being a parent, a teenager, a mayor etc. 

I did enjoy the narrative, which is linear, though you'd think given Night Vale itself, it wouldn't seem so straight forward, but that does mean that anyone can read it. If you know Night Vale then you might find yourself- as I did- hearing the voice of Cecil as you read, if not it comes over in a friendly, simple, matter of fact tone. The characters dialogue is natural enough and pacy too.  

My favorite part of the novel has to be the visit to the library, just because it's the complete opposite of a normal library. There's still bookshelves and books, but not as we know them to be. Also, the librarians are actually monsters that want to kill people. I really like the idea of the 'normal' being totally flipped and I think that's why Night Vale is so attractive.   

Overall, This novel was great and I loved it. I would say to expect the unexpected if you've just discovered Night Vale and if you're returning then the novel really does feel like an extension of the podcast only longer and more in depth about things. I seriously can't wait for the next one...I hope there's going to be one!  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment